Tuesday, March 31, 2009

In the middle of trying to keep my house clean today an episode of Oprah stopped me dead in my tracks. Her guest today was Michael J Fox. Please know that he was my first crush. I loved him so much that I wrote him a fan letter and still have the "automated" reply postcard I received back. I call it "automated", because it was a generic postcard with his signature already printed on it. But to a 10 year old who loved Alex P Keaton, it was a life highlight.
For the past 18 years, he has been living with Parkinson's disease. (I know, 18 years? Wow.) The thing that made me stop and really listen was this incredible quote. "I can choose to think about this. Or I can choose to think about a ton of other things all day." He was a lesson in optimism for me today. Knowing that what is happening now is not only the way it should be. But a gift. Wow! Powerful stuff.

Choose to be happy. Choose to be sad.

Choice...

No comments: