Monday, May 31, 2010

Lost AND Found...

After a week of contemplating it and watching the final episode twice, I am happy to say, that I am still, happy with the ending of LOST.  I know that lots and lots of viewers were disappointed.  Wanting all the questions of "the island" answered.  But that my friends, was never what this show was about.  LOST was about being okay with the unanswered questions and in the end realizing, that the show was never about the island in the first place.  I could go into all my theories here.  All about how the island was a metaphor for all the twists and turns that life throws at us.  The crap that tests our faith and makes us wonder if there really is a plan. Or if we are just flailing around, hoping to survive.  This show was about people and their connection.  If you felt that from the beginning well then, LOST never confused you and you never needed it explained to you on Wednesday morning.  You accepted each episode.  Without question and without worry.  You had faith.  If it never quite was there for you.  Well then you were living a Jack Shepard life in a John Locke world.  (tsk tsk)
I believe in the journey.  I believe that every moment of everything is a means to get there.  Notice that I didn't say end?  I have never believed in an end.  I started watching this show five years ago.  Right before what was the biggest turning point in my life. (plane crash)  I started going with the flow at that time.  Knowing that I needed to let life guide me or I was going to be swallowed up.  (smoke monster)  I made my choice and chose to survive.  I did things, that I am still being told, weren't the right things.  (leaving the island)  Only to find out it was exactly what I needed to lead me back. (Ajira 316)
Revelation.  Acceptance.  Redemption.  Letting go...
I am not at all sad that LOST is over.  Everything is over eventually and we move on to the next thing.  Its the unanswered questions that kill us in the end.  They make us tired and they make us worry.  Where are we going and when will we get there?  Am I making the right choices and will the people that I want there, be there?  No matter your beliefs.  No matter where you come from.  You can't argue that we are all connected.  Everything is effected by who we are, good and bad.  It may not be logical to think this way.  But faith.  Faith makes us human.  Faith makes us believe there has to be an answer, even with out it being clear and even with out ever seeing it. 
I am sorry if some loyal viewers weren't happy with the ending or didn't get it.  But ask yourself.  Did you ever get it fully?  I knew that lots of people didn't get it by the blank stares, I sometimes got when trying to compare the show to great literary works or obscure philosophers.  Yep.  I am a nerd.  But I am connected to a lot of random things that I read.
Lastly.  Hats off to great writing and even better acting.  I mean come on.  These actors will probably be type cast for years to come.  Amazing.  And even if the show didn't give you the big pay off in the end that it gave me.  It successfully had you coming back.  It made an hour of TV seem like 10 minutes and just like everything in pop culture these days, it took on a life of its own.  I personally love the hoopla surrounding something that really is left up for interpretation.  LOST was about people.  It was a character driven show and the "island" was just one of the characters.  Not unlike other characters that were left unresolved, the island was left unresolved.  Hurley stayed behind, perhaps there is another thousand years of story there.  Waiting to be told.  Maybe his consequences sunk the island?  Okay to deep?  Not the first time that I have been accused of that.  Hey!  At least I won't have to try and explain it anymore.  But in life.  Our world is so inconsequential to what is really important.  Our tangible world  is just a character not the answer or just the setting. 
The journey of LOST moves on and now I can only hope that my latest journey is coming to an end.  I definitely feel like I have come to a clearing, but I am not out of the woods yet.  Yeah.  I could pray for someone to come rescue me and be whisked off to safety.  But no one is coming.  I have to rescue myself...

See ya in another life, brotha....

Namaste

No comments: