Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Do we really end up with nothing?

I have been contemplating this blog for over a week now. My grandfather, who I never remember being really sick in my life, was admitted to the hospital last week. He had some major muscle weakness and was not well at all. Come to find out it was a dangerous reaction of two drugs that he was prescribed. I guess the reaction raises your enzyme levels in your body and attacks the muscles. Needless to say it put him out.
But there has been a much bigger lesson here. One that I can hardly think about without getting upset. My grandmother is in the late stages of Alzheimer's and my grandfather has been exhausting himself to no end to try and keep her out of a nursing home. In the last 4 months it has become unbearable for him. He says he rests at night. But as an 86 year old man from "The Greatest Generation", being a caregiver was somewhat foreign to begin with.
As we age we never stop to think of how hard it could be one day to loose our independance. To rely on others, where we use to do it all ourselves. To be married to someone for almost 60 years and watch them loose who they are. Can anyone blame him for wanting to hold on to their life? For not wanting to let go?
A hurricane takes their home and most things in it. A disease takes the person who was suppose to be with you through 3 children, 11 grandchildren, 12 great grandchildren. Now. That same disease is taking you down with her.
I believe all this is the turning point. I believe that with faith, HE answers prayers. And I believe that we can worry. But when the time comes we need to get on our knees and thank HIM for stepping in. Well I am on my knees now. I mourned the loss of my Granny. I gave that to YOU. But damn it, I will not let the disease have my Granddaddy too...

3 comments:

marsha lynn said...

Maybe we need to go to our knees and tell him it is time for her to come home. Maybe we need to pray with her and let her know she can go. Sometimes, if you are leaving your loved ones you don't know how to let go. Granny has taken care of people her entire life and maybe she holds to that. Not knowing that she can let go.

Anonymous said...

Oh Jenni, they haven't ended up with nothing!!! They have lived lives full of the most amazing amounts of love, that they have passed along to each other, their children, grandchildren, and even great-grandchildren! They have taught all of us so much!! And to leave a legacy as they have left on us, is something that many ppl could never accomplish in a lifetime!! So never think they have nothing! I hope that Grandaddy and your mom and dad are able to re-claim some of their lives back! They have lost so much time in doing the right thing to care for the woman that took care of all of us for so long, however as you said, the disease should not have the right to not only take away Granny, but the three of them as well!!!

Anonymous said...

as i read this all i can think of to say is God bless your granddaddy and your granny. they have raised such a wonderful family full of such love and respect for each other. and they haven't ended up with nothing... they have all of you... loving and praying for them.

many hugs and prayers to you, my friend.